Friday, March 12, 2010

Intro to Writer's Choice

Movie Talk!

Most may have chosen one of their essays for this piece. I thought about it but while it shows the improvement I’ve made in learning how to write an essay, it doesn’t show my accomplishment in analysis as much as I think this Movie Talk did. Asking someone to watch a movie and then explain the big picture can be difficult. Additionally there can be many different instances happening throughout. I used to watch a movie and just see it. After our lessons of Movie Talk I actually see more of what is happening – things I used to miss when I would watch a movie.
I found this to be one of the more meaningful lessons of analysis – I find that it’s actually enjoyable. Here’s a bit of my post:
“This film wants us to believe that it's ok to accept someone no matter how different they might be. It shows us that we can step outside our comfort zones to support anyone when they are different. We all understand that there are many people with an illness whether it is physical or mental. But does anyone really treat them as if they didn't have a thing wrong with them? I think that many people aren't really sure how to act around someone with a disability. We think that perhaps they wouldn't want us to but what if they did?! It's scary because nobody wants to hurt anyone's feelings or make them feel weird and out of place.”
The movie was called Lars and the Real Girl. It’s about a man who orders a realistic life-size doll and actually thinks she is alive. She goes everywhere she goes and the community around him supports him through his disorder rather than label him an outsider.

No comments:

Post a Comment