Friday, March 12, 2010

Critical Skills Piece

In this film we clearly see that Walter is clearly the one who is stepping outside of his boundaries. The scene where Walter invites Tarek and Zainab to continue to stay in his apartment until they find something else is one of the first examples we see. He has never met these people whom his finds living in his apartment. But another big example of non-conforming behavior is when Walter, as a new student to the Djembe drum, steps outside his comfort zone to join Tarek in the park in the drum circle. I can't imagine the intimidation factor here.
Although music really is a passion for many people and if you just feel it and what it does for you it doesn't matter where you play or whom you play for. The movie seems to portray this idea throughout. Walter it seems is doing things he never would have considered before he came across these unknown tenants. While helping them to be able to find another place to live, they are helping Walter to discover a new side of himself.

I rather enjoyed this movie but I do have to agree about the ending! I was so disappointed that we do not get to find out what came of Tarek, Zainab, and Tarek's mother -- whose name I didn't quite catch.

I'm thinking that one of the biggest ideas this movie presents is the issue of illegal immigration in the US today. We all have different views on the subject I'm sure. The movie portrays Tarek and Zainab as more victims to our legal processes rather than abusers. It is such a controversial issue but I know that while watching this movie I felt like I should be sympathetic to them as it wasn't like they were purposely trying to do the wrong thing. In fact it was the fault of Tarek's mother for having thrown the paperwork that was needed into the trash. However, we rarely get to see the reality behind many illegal immigrants and I think that is where the animosity might come from. While there are others who are trying to abuse the system, I do believe that many are trying to make an honest attempt at becoming a citizen.

1 comment:

  1. This was a great discussion board and we all seemed to like the movie. Great critical thinking piece, I can really see that you analyze the movie.

    ReplyDelete