Friday, March 12, 2010

Check out my Critical Skills!

Boundaries everywhere!

This piece is one of our discussion postings regarding the Movie Talk for Intermission 2. The question asked of us was: “In one paragraph, summarize a specific incident in the film that you think describes a character “crossing the line.” In a second paragraph, explore help us understand the concept of boundaries in the film by explaining why your character chooses to break a law or disrupt social conventions or behave in a non-conforming way. What does the film seem to say about this and how do you know?”

In part of my post: “But another big example of non-conforming behavior is when Walter, as a new student to the Djembe drum, steps outside his comfort zone to join Tarek in the park in the drum circle. I can't imagine the intimidation factor here. Although music really is a passion for many people and if you just feel it and what it does for you it doesn't matter where you play or whom you play for. The movie seems to portray this idea throughout.” I show how I’m analyzing the movie for how it shows us that many people are afraid to step outside of their comfort zones. Although I’m referencing a scene in the movie, I’m not just telling my audience what happened in the movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment